[seqfan] Re: Periodicity of seqs mod m - research idea

Neil Sloane njasloane at gmail.com
Sun Feb 19 03:03:21 CET 2017

Harvey said:  "a new function in Mathematica version 10 is
FindTransientRepeat."
This worries me. Without independent verification I would not accept the
results of a secret program like that. Especially if their program says
there are no cycles.
What method do they use? Is it probabilistic or deterministic? Certainly if
they claim to find a cycle that can be checked but one would still need to
check that there is no shorter cycle and that their cycle does not begin
any earlier than they claim.

I wrote a Fortran implementation of Floyd's algorithm in 2010 that I would
be happy to send anyone. It is quite short. There is also a C translation.

Best regards
Neil

Email: njasloane at gmail.com