[seqfan] Re: Puzzle sequence A288573

Joerg Arndt arndt at jjj.de
Sun Jul 2 12:06:09 CEST 2017

* Hans Havermann <gladhobo at bell.net> [Jun 30. 2017 08:03]:
> > About Smarandache and lots of other pseudonyms...
>
> Is Florentin Smarandache a real person? Sure:
>
> http://www.gallup.unm.edu/~smarandache/FlorentinSmarandache.htm
>
> Is Florentin Smarandache a real mathematician? Perhaps not

Definitely not.  A full blown shyster he is.

> (but so what?):

Think again: Even ignoring that his pseudo science is taken
seriously by some feeble minded folks, I see one big problem.  He
misleads people who might one day do proper mathematics into wasting
their time with his nonsense, thereby sabotaging future careers.

The fact that his name appears in 551 OEIS sequences is pretty
depressing.  I suggest to actually look at his (or his follower's)
papers, most of them a vacuous at best.

IMO we should get rid of the majority of those citations, similar
as has been done on Wikipedia.

> https://www.reddit.com/r/math/comments/3bd1qh/is_florentin_smarandache_a_real_mathematician/

Spot on, but not quite the complete picture.

> Does Florentin Smarandache engage in sock puppetry? In the absence
> of specific instances, I think that this is an unnecessary
> supposition.

I have not seen indications of sock puppetry yet.
He doesn't seem to need to do that, as there are
enough gullible people echoing his garbage.

> Folk (including real mathematicians) may reference him for one thing
> or another. Some may be more ardent followers. Marius Coman has a
> bio here:
>
> https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Marius_Coman

See also
  https://oeis.org/search?q=author%3aComan&fmt=short

Actually, let Smarandache speak for himself:
  https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Florentin_Smarandache

Seriously tear inducing.

> [...]

Best regards,   jj