[seqfan] Please be polite and courteous

Neil Sloane njasloane at gmail.com
Mon Jul 3 04:44:07 CEST 2017

Dear Sequence Fans,

When the OEIS started out as a web site, back in 1995 or so, we were very
small.  But now we are The OEIS Foundation Inc., and our web site is famous,
we should behave like respectable citizens of the world.
Remember, everything we do - in the database, in the wiki, on the Sequence
Fans Mailing List, on all the editors mailing lists - is being watched by
the whole world.

When you post a criticism of something, above all, be polite and
courteous.  Show good manners.

If you are a long-time reader of Math Reviews or Math Sci Net, as I am, you
learn that you never say "the proof is wrong".  You say "it appears that
one of the steps in the proof may need further justification".  This
accomplishes the same thing to any knowledgeable reader, and is far more
courteous.

In short, when discussing something, remember that what we say should not
give offense to anyone involved, to his/her mother or daughter, or to their
lawyer.  Everything we do is public.

Best regards
Neil

Email: njasloane at gmail.com