[seqfan] Final stage of sequence publication

Vladimir Shevelev shevelev at bgu.ac.il
Thu Jul 27 12:14:24 CEST 2017

Dear Seqfans,

I remember the words in OEIS:
"thousands of people... and
please take great care..." I think
the same applies to the sequence
publication on the final stage.
Recently, when a submitted A289387
yet has not published, I added a simple
formula:
 "For every n>=1, the determinant of circulant
matrix
t_1 t_2 t_3 t_4 t_5
t_5 t_1 t_2 t_3 t_4
t_4 t_5 t_1 t_2 t_3
t_3 t_4 t_5 t_1 t_2
t_2 t_3 t_4 t_5 t_1,
where t_i=(-1)^(i-1)K_i, i=1..5, is 0. Here K_1,
K_2,K_4,K_5 are as in the previous formula
and K_3(n)=a(n). For a proof and a
generalization see the second Shevelev link
that also contains two unsolved problems."
(I selected K_3, since it is absent in the
previous formula). Five distinct editors
either proposed for review or reviewed this.
It would seem, one can published it without
changes. But yesterday it was published
the following misleading version:
"For every n>=1, the determinant of
circulant matrix with the entries
t_i=(-1)^(i-1)* K_i(n), i=1..5, is 0.
Here K_1, K_2, K_4 and K_5 are the same
as in the previous formula. For a proof and
a generalization see the second Shevelev
link that also contains two unsolved problems.
For example, K_3(n) = a(n):
  t_1 t_2 t_3 t_4 t_5
  t_5 t_1 t_2 t_3 t_4
  t_4 t_5 t_1 t_2 t_3
  t_3 t_4 t_5 t_1 t_2
  t_2 t_3 t_4 t_5 t_1"

Especially unpleasant "For example, K_3(n)
= a(n)" which was added not by me and
suggests several possible variants, and a
location of the matrix.
In "the second Shevelev link" I proved that
in case of circulant matrix of odd order
(here is the fifth order), functions {K_i(n) }
are linear depended (with nonzero coefficients),
so if 4 from 5 are known
then there is a unique variant.

Best regards,
Vladimir