[seqfan] Re: Puzzle sequence A288573

Neil Sloane njasloane at gmail.com
Sun Jul 2 15:17:27 CEST 2017

Well, I only partially agree with Joerg's comments. I certainly agree that
the S name appears too often in definitions and cross-references.

If one looks at the full listing of all the sequences,
the name Smarandache appears in 1000 lines.

Most of these are legitimate references to places where
the sequences can be found.  There is nothing wrong with that.  We always
cite the source for a sequence, or places that mention a sequence, even if
this is on the wall of a public toilet (not that we have many references
like that).

F. S. himself is the author of just 5 sequences.

On the other hand, I see there are a lot of mentions of the so-called
"Smarandache-Wellin numbers: a(n) = concatenation of first n primes
(written in decimal system)",  A019518.

I have edited that definition so that it now reads:
a(n) = concatenation of first n primes (written in base 10).

I will also remove all the other references to "Smarandache-Wellin numbers"

I am also going to delete ridiculous comments like the following:

%C A004736 "Smarandache Decrescendo Subsequences".
%C A004737 Also called the Smarandache Crescendo Pyramidal sequence.
%C A004738 Also called Smarandache Decrescendo Pyramidal Sequence.
%C A004739 Also called Smarandache Crescendo Symmetric Sequence.

and in general I am going to remove silly names like "The
Smarandache-Euclid primes 2,3,5,7,11,..."

This will affect some 150 sequences, so it will take me a little while to
do it.

Best regards
Neil

Email: njasloane at gmail.com