[seqfan] Re: Please be polite and courteous

bradklee at gmail.com bradklee at gmail.com
Mon Jul 3 22:14:09 CEST 2017

Is there a policy for purging ?

I'm worried about precedents and slippery slope. Example:

Kid A contributes a range of sequences with some relation to Elliptic functions. Then, someone in a higher class says: "These sequences are done better by Jacobi, Weierstrass, Bell, etc. The contributions of Kid A are _clear as mud_. We can use the same purge algorithm as we used for Smarandache, to erase all contributions from Kid A."

A purge is sometimes sold on the basis of "hygiene" or returning property and real estate to the "rightful" owner. Buyer beware!

In the case of Smarandache-integers 1,2,3,4,5... I don't think we are talking about fascist-style victimization when suggesting deletions. The argument against Kid A needs more scrutiny than one, possibly biased, opinion.

If OEIS starts purging, one idea is to produce a reasonable document, in legal-language, with explicit citations, explaining the justification for a purge to the public via the wiki. This document should not be considered an authoritative proclamation, rather an entreat to oversight.

Thanks,

Brad