[seqfan] Re: Crypto EllipticK & A000984

Andrew N W Hone A.N.W.Hone at kent.ac.uk
Tue Jul 25 11:35:30 CEST 2017

Dear all,

It has been a long time since I read Edwards' article, and I haven't been following the discussion carefully, but I am familiar with the Edwards curve, as it is one of
a much larger family (so called biquadratic curves) which appear in many different contexts. Apparently Euler may have been the first to study these curves, in his work on
elliptic integrals.

In the family of curves

a = x^2 + y^2 + x^2*y^2

with parameter a, if we view a as a Hamiltonian then Hamilton's equations are the canonical ones

dx/dt = \partial a / \partial y

dy/dt = - \partial a / \partial x

so we find

dx/dt = 2*y*(1+x^2)

dy/dt = -2*x*(1+y^2).

One can show that, for all but finitely many values of a, this extends to a smooth flow on the whole curve a=constant (including points at infinity). This is described, for the case of a general biquadratic curve, in Duistermaat's book "Discrete Integrable Systems: QRT Maps and Elliptic Surfaces".

If I remember correctly, the parametrizations introduced by Edwards can be written using Jacobi elliptic functions.

All the best
Andy