[seqfan] Re: Crypto EllipticK & A000984

Andrew N W Hone A.N.W.Hone at kent.ac.uk
Thu Jul 27 15:05:27 CEST 2017

Dear Brad,

Your questions and comments are very worthwhile, in particular

***** Why should the continuous flow calculated as time evolution coincide
with discrete flows provided by iterating the addition rule?

In general, there is no "natural" discrete version of a Hamiltonian flow. Most discretization schemes (like Euler's method, Newton-Raphson etc.)
will not give anything nice, even if the original flow is completely integrable. In particular, most discretizations will not preserve the Hamiltonian (energy).

However, for a Hamiltonian system with one degree of freedom (one position x, one momentum y), the level sets of the Hamiltonian H are one-dimensional
(curves) given by the equation H(x,y)=constant. So if you have a map of the (x,y) plane to itself which also preserves H, then the iterates of this map must lie on the same level curves,
and so must interpolate the continuous flow. There is a slight subtlety here, which would invalidate what I said: the real level sets of H may have more than one connected component,
and the map could jump between different components.

Now the curves

a=x^2+y^2 +x^2*y^2

are genus 1, and as a complex curve (Riemann surface) they are connected and smooth for almost all a. A birational map in (x,y) that preserves this curve must be a combination of an involution
and a translation (this is a general result on automorphisms of elliptic curves, as in e.g. Silverman's book "The Arithmetic of Elliptic Curves"). If the map is orientation-preserving then it is just a translation.
One can use the parameter t from the Hamiltonian flow as a local complex parameter on the curve, and then one finds that the map is just a shift t -> t + constant.

Best wishes
Andy