[seqfan] Re: Crypto EllipticK & A000984

Brad Klee bradklee at gmail.com
Thu Jul 27 21:18:11 CEST 2017

Hi Andy and All,

Thanks for writing, you also have worthwhile comments.

The best general methods for discrete time evolution seem to be symplectic
integration or Euler's method along a conserved energy surface. Both
methods practically involve truncation of infinite series, so will only
conserve energy within a range given by some, hopefully small, dE.

Given a surface over a two-dimensional space, possibly the Hamiltonian,
level sets around an analytic local minimum will look sufficiently like
circles. These curves can always be expressed in polar coordinates as
trigonometric polynomials (for definition, see:
http://math.uga.edu/~pete/trotter.pdf ). What's nice, the Fourier
coefficients need not be computed by any sort of overlap integral.
Consequently, re-parametrizations such as time dependence can also be
written, easily, as trigonometric polynomials.

It's easy-enough to work out a scheme for arbitrary-precision calculation,
but difficult to decide when the series expansions will converge to
rational values, especially because of transcendental sine and cosine
functions. To me, that is what makes the Edward's Addition law such a
curious and incredible discovery.

I don't think we should throw integral calculations out the window just
because of cryptography's needs. History aside, there is still an interest
to prove that iteration of the addition rules generates a group algebra
with properties such as associative and commutative. Even renowned Thomas
Hales says that this is not, at first, an easy task for young people (cf.
https://arxiv.org/abs/1610.05278).

As long as dphi/dt never equals zero the group structure is nothing more
than U(1). Both phi and t parametrizations are periodic, with t-period
given by the integral of dt over one complete phi period, [0,2pi].

Undergraduates should be able to do the calculus. From there it is not
difficult to realize that U(1) has both commutative and associative
properties. If there are issues going from a continuous U(1) group to some
C_n or D_n subset, then it may take extra effort to meet knowledge goals
set by Hales.

My intuition agrees with your statement that no general method exists for
finding useful Q-maps, but I will have to thoroughly defeat myself before
giving up on the dreamy idea that some other special cases exist. The
hexagonal disk is one candidate, pendulum phase space another.

Exciting times,

Brad