[seqfan] Re: corollary to the Collatz conjecture?

jean-paul allouche jean-paul.allouche at imj-prg.fr
Sat Jul 29 11:21:01 CEST 2017

Hi

I understand. Actually there is a generalized Collatz conjecture
due to Hasse and described in a paper by M\"oller, and one by Heppner
in 1978 (and one by myself the same year), where you call \varphi a map
that sends Z to a complete set of residues modulo d and you do x --> x/d
if d divides x, and x --> (nx - \varphi(nx)) otherwise. The conjecture
is that
for n < d^{d/(d-1)} every integer goes to a loop and the number of loops is
finite, and that for n > d^{d/(d-1)} there exist infinite trajectories.
I am not sure whether the case you are interested in was addressed
explicitly
since then. The ultimate source is Lagarias's book
http://bookstore.ams.org/mbk-78

best wishes
jean-paul