[seqfan] Re: constants of nature in the OEIS

Brad Klee bradklee at gmail.com
Sat Jun 24 16:51:38 CEST 2017

Hi Andrey,

Outdated estimates do have important historical value. There is always an
interesting story associated, but history also provides a data set for
understanding the role of uncertainty in metrology. We have the following
from Randolf Pohl:

> https://www.quantamagazine.org/proton-radius-puzzle-
deepens-with-new-measurement-20160811/
>> http://pdg.lbl.gov/2012/reviews/rpp2012-rev-history-plots.pdf

Looking over the Berkely charts, there are a number of data points above 3
standard deviations relative to the most recent measurement. It looks like
there are also a few above 4 standard deviations, possibly one around 5
standard deviations. Given enough data, eventually we could see a 6
standard deviation error.

This logic affects your question about muon-electron mass ratio. What do
you mean by "known for sure"? Compare the following:

http://physics.nist.gov/cgi-bin/cuu/Value?mmusme
http://physics.nist.gov/cgi-bin/cuu/Info/Constants/definitions.html

Considering the historical data, it's possible that a deviation over 5
standard uncertainties will change the trailing 2 into a 3.

One possibility is to set a limit at the usual three standard deviations,
and mark a sequence dead when three sigma ranges do not intersect. If OEIS
put some time into this and expanded coverage, in the future it may be
possible to generate a plot such as above just from the version control
data.

Thanks,

Brad