[seqfan] Re: Number of touching points between unit circles in the optimal packing of circles in a circle

Benoît Jubin benoit.jubin at gmail.com
Sun Mar 19 19:00:46 CET 2017

The page http://hydra.nat.uni-magdeburg.de/packing/cci/ (linked from
wikipedia) seems to count the minimal number of contacts (and includes
contacts with the boundary, but those appear also separately in
another column). I would say that to get the maximum number of
contacts, one should add to the minimum number of contacts twice the
number of loose circles (also given on the page), but again, this is
for the configuration given on the page, and there might exist other
optimal configurations.

Therefore, these numbers are probably conjectural for n > 9 (as Neil
noted, there is a configuration that has been proven optimal for each
n <= 13, but to obtain the sequence of mutual contacts, one needs
more, namely, a description of all optimal configurations).

A sequence that would be interesting would be the n's which give
record densities (and also record lows). There are similar sequences
for circles in a square and many others
(http://hydra.nat.uni-magdeburg.de/packing/).

Benoit