[seqfan] Re: Name for a type of set needed

Antti Karttunen antti.karttunen at gmail.com
Mon Mar 27 11:33:45 CEST 2017

On Mon, Mar 27, 2017 at 12:47 AM, <seqfan-request at list.seqfan.eu> wrote:

> Message: 13
> Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2017 20:24:24 -0500
> From: "Bob Selcoe" <rselcoe at entouchonline.net>
> To: "Sequence Fanatics Discussion list" <seqfan at list.seqfan.eu>
> Subject: [seqfan] Name for a type of set needed
>
> Hi Seqfans,
>
> I just proposed sequence A284311, titled: "Array T(n,k) read by
> antidiagonals: T(1,k) = squarefree numbers > 1 in ascending order
> (A005117(k)); columns are non-squarefree numbers (in ascending order) with
> the exact same prime factors as T(1,k)".
>
> So for example, Column 6 is the set whose members have prime factors {2,5}:
> {10, 20, 40, 50, 80, 100, 160, 200...}.
>
> Is there a standard name for such sets?

Hah, this is the square array I once thought about submitting! That is, the
initial column (or row, if transposed)
consists of the squarefree numbers > 1, and then what follows in the same
column (or row), are all the numbers that have
that initial number as their squarefree part.

The construction reminds me also of Clark Kimberling's dispersions, but for
that we would need to find (or construct!)
a sequence a(n) that gives consistently the next term down the line. Well,
actually, it should be easy:
a(n) = the smallest number k > n which has same squarefree part,
A007913(n), thus it should be a permutation of A013929.

I have used similar "backformation-style-dispersions" before, e.g. for
constructing A083221 "Sieve of Eratosthenes arranged as an array and read
by antidiagonals" as a "dispersion" of A250469.
But I think that in Kimberling's original terminology only dispersions of
monotonic functions were considered.

Moreover, in my opinion, for all important arrays like these, both
transpositions should be submitted in, because sooner or later (say, after
ten years, which is short time in OEIS) somebody will search for the other
orientation, and when not found, will submit their own version. It's much
better that both are in the database from the start, with other just
pointing to the other, saying "Transposition of array Axxxxxx, see comments
there."

Best regards,

Antti