[seqfan] Re: Rings of regular polygons

Peter Munn techsubs at pearceneptune.co.uk
Tue Mar 28 04:17:14 CEST 2017

Hi Luca,

Your equation having "a" in it looks a good way of excluding the solutions
which have the polygons meeting at a point.

If the constraint on "a" is relaxed to allow it to be zero, the number of
solutions to your equation does seem to be the number of divisors of n
that are less than n/2 (which is A023645), which if proven would mean we
reached the same answer by a different analysis routes.  Can you spot any
difference?

If we can be sure the terms for n > 6 match A023645 then it provides an
easy way for Felix or whoever to supply the sequence terms.

Also of interest are the n-gons which define the hole in the middle.  The
sequence of possible n's would appear to form a new sequence for OEIS,
starting 3,4,6,8,9,10, 12,15,16,18,20, 21,24,25,27,28,30, 32,33,36...  and
likewise the number of distinct n-gons that can define such holes.

Regards,

Peter