[seqfan] Re: The lex. earliest binary cube-free sequence

Brendan McKay Brendan.McKay at anu.edu.au
Tue May 2 06:12:37 CEST 2017

Each node in the tree has a 0-subtree and a 1-subtree, each of
which can be finite or infinite.

Now suppose we have the first k elements of the leftmost infinite
sequence  a[1],...,a[k].  We can do that for k=0 easily enough.
Then take a[k+1]=0 if the 0-subtree of this node is infinite and
a[k+1]=1 otherwise.  This never gets stuck because the property
that the current subtree is infinite is preserved by each step.

To prove this gives the leftmost infinite path, assume there is a
path even more to the left and find a contradiction at the place
where they first diverge.

None of this provides an algorithm in the strict Turing-machine
sense since it doesn't say how we can determine whether a subtree
is finite.  It would suffice if there is a Turing-computable function
B(k) which bounds the size of a finite subtree of a node at depth k.
Turing-computable functions can be stupendously large, but I don't
see any bound at all at the moment.

Brendan.