[seqfan] Having a "mother" sequence in cross-references is a good idea

Neil Sloane njasloane at gmail.com
Sun Nov 5 18:27:57 CET 2017

A general comment, not specifically referring to any particular sequence.
But I'm posting this because I have noticed a tendency among some editors
to delete cross-references if they cannot see a direct connection.

When we have a lot of sequences all roughly on the same topic, it is a good
idea to choose one sequence in particular as the "mother" sequence, and
then give a cross-reference to the mother in all the related sequences,
even when there is no direct connection.

As an example, I have been studying Emil Post's Tag Systems and the
sequences that arise. To tie them all together I try to make sure that they
all have a cross-reference to A284116, which I have chosen as the "mother".

This is especially important when there is no entry in the OEIS Index for
the subject.

James Abello and others have been working on a way to show a graph that
would have a node for each sequence, and when you go to a sequence the
graph would show you all the sequences that are friends of it, friends of
friends, friends of friends of friends, and so on.  With a dynamic display,
so you can move around in the graph - like a sky chart. Unfortunately this
is not yet operational.

So having a "mother" sequence in all the cross-references to link the
sequences together is an attempt to do the same thing.