[seqfan] 448 ways

israel at math.ubc.ca israel at math.ubc.ca
Thu Nov 16 03:51:52 CET 2017

A295159 (recently submitted by Robert Price) is titled "Smallest number
with exactly n representations as a sum of five nonnegative squares." Of
course this raises the question, does such a number always exist?

It appears to me that although such numbers exist for n <= 447, there may
not be such a number in the case n=448. I have determined that there is no
such number <= 25000, and from looking at A000174 it seems unlikely that
any number x > 25000 would have A000174(x) as small as 448. Can anybody
prove my conjecture?

One possible route to proving the conjecture would involve good lower
bounds for A000174(x). One simple lower bound is floor(sqrt(x) -
sqrt(x/2)), from the following argument: if y is any integer in the
interval (sqrt(x/2), sqrt(x)], we can represent x as the sum of 5 squares
of which one is y^2 (since x - y^2 is the sum of 4 squares), and since y^2
> x/2 the others are all < y^2, making these all distinct representations.
To make that lower bound 448 would require x >= 2339578, and that's too big
for me to search. But maybe better lower bounds are known.

Cheers,
Robert Israel