[seqfan] Re: Iterating "smallest odd prime divisor of n^2 + 1"

Peter Munn techsubs at pearceneptune.co.uk
Sun Nov 5 20:54:05 CET 2017

Dear Frank and SeqFans,

I'd like to suggest a different way of looking at it probabilistically.
Isn't the proportion of numbers with least odd prime factor p
approximately c_1 / (p log p) for some constant c_1?  I can see this being
the key element in the "probability" of a prime p being a term in a cycle,
leading to that probability being about c_2 / (p log p) for some c_2.

Again, I'm not so experienced as to be sure, so I ask rather than state:
does c_2 / (p log p) sum to infinity over primes p, with partial sums
convergent to c_3 log log p, or some similar formula?  If so, why not an
infinite, if sparsely distributed, number of cycles like (5 <-> 13)?

The answer doesn't seem obvious and I'd appreciate reading further comments.

Best Regards, Peter