[seqfan] Re: Iterating "smallest odd prime divisor of n^2 + 1"

Neil Fernandez primeness at borve.org
Mon Nov 6 03:27:12 CET 2017

Hi all,

The sequence a(n+1) := smallest odd prime divisor (SOPD) of (a(n)^2)+1
may possibly always end in the loop (5,13), but there exist t such that
the sequence a(n+1) := SOPD of (a(n)^2)+t can fall into more than one
loop depending on a(1).

When t=34 (x^2+t always with a SOPD because it cannot be a power of 2),
a(1)=2 => loop is (5,59);
a(1)=3 => loop is (7,83).

When t=7 (for which x^2+t can be a power of 2 and therefore SOPD-free),
a(1)=4 => loop is (23,67,281,9871);
a(1)=8 => loop is (71,631).

Best regards,

Neil