[seqfan] Re: 448 ways

Joseph Myers jsm at polyomino.org.uk
Fri Nov 17 14:39:07 CET 2017

Jacobi showed that the number of representations of n as a sum of four
squares, where the order and signs of the numbers squared matter, is 8
times the sum of the divisors of n that are not multiples of 4.  So for n
odd this is at least 8n, and when the order and signs do not matter it is
at least n/48.

So for sums of five squares, look at n-k^2 where k has opposite parity to
n, and each representation may appear at most five times with different
choices of k.  Bounding this sum of (n-k^2)/240 by an integral, I get that
the number of representations of n as the sum of five squares is at least
(1/720)n^{3/2} - n/480 + 1/1440.

--
Joseph S. Myers
jsm at polyomino.org.uk