[seqfan] Re: Proof For A269254

Neil Sloane njasloane at gmail.com
Mon Oct 23 04:38:24 CEST 2017

The case 110 is certainly always composite. I didn't work out all the
details, but, first, a(3n+1) is zero mod 3 (just run the recurrence mod 3)

Second, it seems that a(3n) = b(n)*c(n),
where Don Reble found b(n) = 110*b(n-1)-b(n-2), and using gfun I get
c(n) = 12099*c(n-1)-12099*c(n-2)+c(n-3)

Third, similarly, it seems that a(3n+2) = d(n)*e(n), where d(n) and e(n)
satisfy the same recurrences as b(n) and c(n), except with different
initial conditions.

This may not be a legal proof, but one can now use gfun to verify that
a(3n) and b(n)*c(n) satisfy the recurrence
A(n) = 1330670*A(n-1) - A(n-2),
and so must be equal.
Likewise,  a(3n+2), d(n)*e(n) satisfy the same recurrence
(with different initial conditions)
and so are also equal.

Best regards
Neil