[seqfan] Re: Can we create a workable taxonomy for classifying all the various kinds of sequences in the OEIS?

Veikko Pohjola veikko at nordem.fi
Fri Apr 6 15:06:24 CEST 2018

Just a short comment,

Taxonomies are typically domain specific ad hoc systems which prove unsatisfactory when the domain evolves or is viewed in a larger perspective. I would suggest an adequate ontology based approach where the sequences forming a hierarchical whole are treated as objects with a generic set of attributes. I have myself a lot of experience of applying the PSSP ontology with success on various diffuse problem areas of the real world like knowledge management (even ignorance management) and why not to mention waste management, the project which started by defining the waste itself. Some of my students went crazy in searching most strange targets to test the approach like formulating zero and God as a PSSP object. So, I do not doubt its power in attacking the integer sequences, but who would have the necessary interest and time.

Veikko Pohjola