[seqfan] Re: Can we create a workable taxonomy for classifying all the various kinds of sequences in the OEIS?

Wayne VanWeerthuizen waynemv at gmail.com
Mon Apr 9 00:13:36 CEST 2018

On 4/7/2018 1:17 PM, Georg.Fischer wrote:
> But I think it is totally impossible to *manually* introduce any additional
> classification of the OEIS sequences (because of their huge number).

Again, I did not intend to suggest we classify every sequence. I was asking about a consistent nomenclature for simply talking about the different general ways sequences are generated. It's the list itself of possible categories that interests me, and not necessarily actually having every specific sequence categorized and tagged. And I'm not convinced that the huge number of sequences implies a huge number of meta-rules for sequence generation. I still expect a list of meta-rules to be relatively short, given the vast majority of OEIS sequences appear to be generated by essentially quite similar procedures. Again, one of my examples was that the OEIS already has hundreds, maybe even thousands of, "least k such that..." sequences. What other kinds of procedures are akin to this?