[seqfan] Re: Can we create a workable taxonomy for classifying all the various kinds of sequences in the OEIS?

Wayne VanWeerthuizen waynemv at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 12:08:30 CEST 2018

Marc, I totally agree, especially at this stage.

To clarify again, my interest was mainly just in the initial development of a detailed comprehensive category list itself, and not in any specific modification of the OEIS to make use of the list in any specific way, whether for searching or for any other purpose. Incorporating such a list, once completed, into the OEIS itself or into some external resource, might be a discussion for a later time. I think getting into it now is "putting the cart before the horse", as they say. For now, I am still working to determine how really feasible it is, in the first place, to classify sequences into a few different fundamental kinds.

For now, I rather just wanted to discuss the various possible categories themselves. I am still in the process of revising and expanding my own list, and seeing how well it works to characterize randomly selected sequences from the OEIS. So far I have just thirteen major categories and about sixty subcategories. This is still a work in progress. I expect to add many more subcategories. But I expect only a few additional major categories will be needed, but I see what more is needed as I continue to examine other OEIS sequences.

So far, the most complicated sequence generation meta-rules I've discovered in the OEIS have involved "racing sequences", and also what I've previously called "least-k sequences". What other examples of complicated meta-rules can anyone point me to? Also, what does "convolution" mean, specifically in the context of integer sequences? (I see "self-convolution" mentioned in A000106.)