[seqfan] Re: Atomic number of n-th element in the "neptunium series"

Allan Wechsler acwacw at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 13:52:39 CEST 2018

Every nucleus has an integer mass number; radioactive decay either doesn't
change the mass number, or reduces it by 4. Therefore, there are four
classes of radioactive nuclei. The Np-237 series all have mass number of
the form 4n+1. It is called the Neptunium series because at the time of its
discovery, Neptunium was the earliest known member. Four prior members are
now known: Californium-249, Curium-245, Plutonium-241, and Americium-241
(which decays into Neptunium-237).

The 4n series's earliest known member is Californium-252 and is called the
Thorium series; 4n+2 starts with Uranium-238 and is named after it; and
4n+3 starts with Californium-251 and is called the Actinium series.

I have no opinion on whether the atomic numbers of these series belong in
OEIS; they seem like a borderline case to me.