[seqfan] Re: Atomic number of n-th element in the "neptunium series"

Allan Wechsler acwacw at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 18:52:34 CEST 2018

The proposed sequence was not just counting down by fours. Every nucleus
contains integral numbers of protons and neutrons. The mass number is the
sum of these two; it is this that does not change (modulo 4) during
radioactive decay. The atomic number is just the number of protons. Each
decay event can change the atomic number by -2, -1, or +1, depending on
what kind of decay it is. I believe Felix Fröhlich was proposing recording
the atomic numbers in a sequence.