[seqfan] Re: Pythagorean triples of triangular numbers?

Brad Klee bradklee at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 13:19:41 CEST 2018

Hi Andy,

I'm not making any claims about homogeneous or projective coordinates.
My previous message only suggests the idea of taking a plane section of
what you
call an "affine surface". Curves in the (x,y) plane have square dihedral
symmetry.
If we allow negative values of (x,y), then there are actually eight points
associated to
the one known Pythagorean triple: (132, 143), (132, -144), (-133, 143),
(-133, -144),
and the four transpositions. All eight points are also on the circumference
of an
intersecting circle.

Naively we could hope to find another intersection geometry, and iterate
more points,
even if only rationals. But considering the plane section genus 3 and
Faltings's theorem,
the outlook is not hopeful. You seem to agree here.

So many other interesting questions are more nearly in reach. For example,
if we intersect
congruent ellipses:

(1 - x^2 + sqrt(2)*x*y - y^2)=0     and     (1 - x^2 - sqrt(2)*x*y - y^2)=0

The central square-symmetric region has slightly more area than a square of
side
length sqrt(2), A=2.22144 . . . Is this number really A247719, Pi/sqrt(2) ?

Cheers,

Brad