[seqfan] Fwd: Re: Balanced / Unbalanced numbers

Éric Angelini bk263401 at skynet.be
Sun Dec 9 17:04:03 CET 2018

Hello Neil,
thank you for yr interest in this idea!

> follow both branches

... what would you suggest?
To keep the smallest Balanced, for instance?
If yes, I'll correct the user's manual!

***WARNING***
Jean-Marc tested his search program this morning
with the "3" start and encountered a "strange
situation" -- quoted in French here (my translation
below):

> Par exemple, en partant de 3, après une cinquantaine d'itérations, on
> arrive à 7693379096578803 qui a une somme paire de 28 et une somme impaire
> de 62, avec peu d'impairs en fin de nombre. Le plus proche Balanced est
> alors à des centaines de milliers de distance, donc long à trouver, et le
> phénomène s'aggrave rapidement avec la taille des nombres.

« Starting with 3 we arrive around the 50th iteration
on 7693379096578803 which has an even sum of 28 and an odd sum of 62,
with very few odd digits at the end of the number. The closest Balanced is
at hundreds of thousands away, so long to find, and the phenomenon gets
quickly worse with the size of the numbers. »

Best,
É.