[seqfan] Re: Enclosing Circle of Convex Lattice Polygons

Brad Klee bradklee at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 18:11:43 CET 2018

Hi Hugo,

Nice idea, and the drawings [1] really help a lot more than the ASCII
art ( maybe you should show all of the bounding circles though? ) .

It seems like for n=8*m, there is some resonance with the underlying
square geometry, and possibly dihedral symmetry will hold throughout.

To create a corner the slope must change, and convexity seems to
imply a regular structure for the delta sequence across the horizontal.

For example:

n=8   :   0 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 0 = 3
n=16 :   0 + 1 + 1 + 2 + 1 + 2 + 1 + 1 + 0 = 9
n=24 :   0 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 2 + 3 + 1 + 3 + 2 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 0 = 17

And I can guess that

n=32 :   0 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 1 + 4 + 3 + 2 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 0 = 27
n=m*8:  2*m - 1 +  (m+1)*m = m^2 + 3*m - 1 .

As m->oo and n->oo, these summations should converge to the diameter
length. If the limit indeed exists, then it should be perfectly fine
to calculate
its value on a subsequence.

Cheers,

Brad