[seqfan] Re: What is a "Q unit fraction"?

Alex Meiburg timeroot.alex at gmail.com
Sat Dec 22 20:46:18 CET 2018

Two guesses. First option: this is a "q-analog" of a unit fraction. There
are "q-analogs" of a variety of quantities, but I don't understand them
very well and I think you'd have to specify q? Maybe it ends up being
independent of q here, though.

Second option: you're misparsing the description, and instead of
decomposing into "Q unit fractions", it's decomposing into plain old unit
fractions, of which there are Q. Q is some variable that hasn't been
properly explained.

Actually, I'd bet on the second one, given that they say "exactly Q" unit
fractions, which really suggests that Q is a quantity of unit fractions.