[seqfan] Re: Sequence relating the mass of the planets to the mass of their most massive satellites

Brendan McKay Brendan.McKay at anu.edu.au
Tue Feb 6 23:28:39 CET 2018

Incidentally, the methods used for measuring mass of extraterrestial
objects,
mainly their effect on the motion of other objects and spacescraft, actually
produce the value of G*M, where M is the mass and G is the gravitational
constant.  They don't produce the mass directly.

Since G itself is not known to more than 4 or 5 digits (if I recall there is
currently a contradiction between the most precise measurements), M
cannot be known more accurately than that.   This is not necessarily a
disadvantage in determining the ratio between a moon and its planet,
since G*M is known more accurately than M for the planet and we can use
(G*Mars)/(G*Phobos) instead of Mars/Phobos.

Alas, even G*Phobos is known only to a few parts in a thousand so there
is no hope of getting the integer nearest to Mars/Phobos.

Brendan.