[seqfan] Re: Suggestions for A300000 ?

Alonso Del Arte alonso.delarte at gmail.com
Sun Feb 11 04:24:36 CET 2018

I was thinking maybe it should have something to do with bowling, but then
I thought I don't like bowling all that much.

And then I remembered this idea I've been dragging my feet on: squarefree d
such that the "integer part" of the fundamental unit of Q(sqrt(d)) is
larger than the "integer part" of the fundamental unit of any smaller d. By
"integer part," I mean, for example, the 170 in 170 + 39sqrt(19).

The terminology is unsatisfactory, but then I thought: why not just use the
entire real number? So 170 + 39 sqrt(19) is approximately 339.997, which is
larger than 15 + 4 sqrt(14) approx. 29.966629547. My intuition is that the
sequence is the same this way, but a counterexample might exist.

I've gotten the A-number 294176. There are about 80 recycled sequences, so
those might slow down our approach to A300000.

Al

On Tue, Feb 6, 2018 at 11:55 AM, Neil Sloane <njasloane at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Seq Fans,
>
> We will soon reach A-number A300000.  If you see any sequences worthy of
> this honor in the next week or two, please send me an email.
>
> A sequence that has already been approved can be renumbered as A300000.
>
> If one of you has a chance to reserve the A-numbers A300000 through
> A300009, say, please grab them and let me know!
>

> Best regards
> Neil
>
> Neil J. A. Sloane, President, OEIS Foundation.
> Email: njasloane at gmail.com

Alonso del Arte
Author at SmashWords.com
<https://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/AlonsoDelarte>