[seqfan] Re: Simple formulas for Madelung constants?

Neil Sloane njasloane at gmail.com
Mon Feb 19 15:34:22 CET 2018

Jon,  The answer is certainly Yes.  However, you
have to be very careful when calculating these Madelung constants.  As you
will
see if you look at the literature (Finch page 76 is a good start) these
sums need to
be interpreted very carefully, since they have subsequences
which are divergent.

Yes, you can write down expressions like

Sum_{i, j, k not all 0} f(i,j,k)

where f(i,j,k) = (-1)^(i+j+k)/sqrt(i^2+j^2+k^2).

but then you need to say exactly what you mean.  We are working here with
potentially
divergent sums.  My advice would be not to blindly start running some
computer program.
Do some research first.

Best regards
Neil