[seqfan] Re: Bad pdf file in A002369?

Fred Lunnon fred.lunnon at gmail.com
Sun Feb 25 01:18:09 CET 2018

  Incidentally, when enumerating objects acted upon by a symmetry group
--- eg. polyominoes under the group  D_4 (aka  D_8 ) of the square --- it is
advisable to consider "fixed" counts (ignoring symmetry) rather than "free"
(modulo symmetry), since any explicit expressions for the counts are
generally simpler for the fixed case.

  In practice, brute-force enumeration may well be faster if symmetry
is `broken' first; but it is generally easy to incorporate additional code
to reconstruct the fixed contribution corresponding to each free object.

  Unfortunately many investigators remain apparently unaware of such
considerations.

WFL