[seqfan] Re: PAPERS has been erasing my pdf files

neil greubel jthomae at gmail.com
Sat Jan 20 00:59:51 CET 2018

I take a different view from the online database storage systems. I have
kept copies of materials (books, articles, notes, etc) in the formats (pdf,
latex, Open/Libre Office, djview, etc) on at least one portable hard drive.
My view is that in today's time most plug-and-play drives (sd cards, thumb
drives, hd's) are cross platform functional and easily fit into bags and
can be taken anywhere without internet access. There are larger desk top
drives with 6-8 tb capacities, but are less useful when traveling. A major
downfall is the memory of the person and the number of machines used. For
example: I have an sd card in 4 different machines, add in a dozen thumb
drives, and three 2 tb hard drives. Sometimes trying to find "that one
paper" may take some time.

Another online based storage system is Google Drive. With most Google
accounts there is a large enough storage space (about 100 GB) and is
accessible anywhere the internet is. There are options to this. If the
paper/book is found online and it can be saved to Drive right away then do
so. Alternatively a Drive component should be installed on the machine(s)
and if saved in that folder then Drive can be automatically synced and all
is good.

I use Drive frequently, but always prefer hd/sd cards/etc..