[seqfan] Re: Sequences taken from straight lines through the prime spiral.

Neil Sloane njasloane at gmail.com
Sat Jul 28 00:19:40 CEST 2018

After reading David Sycamore's interesting message, I created A317186 to
provide an overview of the sequences based on the two versions of the
square spiral. (See the drawings of the two spirals in A317186.)
There are many, certainly 24, natural sequences that one sees right away,
all but one of which were already in the OEIS - the missing one (now
A317186) gave me a peg to hang all the others on - as well as a general
discussion.

 I then created A317187 to show - following David S.'s message - an example
of how these 24 sequences can be used to extract 24 subsequences from any
existing sequence P by writing P in a square spiral. The particular example
A317187
is obtained by writing the primes in a spiral, and looking at those primes
on the positive and negative X axis. In general this will extract
subsequences from P that are indexed by quadratics.

We could take P to be any of the 175 core sequences and we would get 4200
or more potentially new sequences. I'm certainly not saying we should
include all of them, but David has certainly (implicitly) pointed out a lot
of sources for new sequences!

Best regards
Neil

Email: njasloane at gmail.com