[seqfan] Correcting Broken Links - Some Choices

P. Michael Hutchins pmh232 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 3 12:43:18 CET 2018

I'm working on fixing some links in A139250.  .

Neil was good enough to lay out for me the basics of how to do this in the
OEIS, but I've run across a couple of questions that I don't have answers
for, not knowing the "personality" of OEIS well enough.

   - Old links can be accessed via the WayBack Machine, web.archive.org.
   But should we assume that OEIS users can use that for themselves, or should
   we do that for them?

   - I would guess that we shouldn't use any of the URL-shortening services.

   - Culling - or just failing to update - links that seem to be of only
   marginal utility.

Obviously people can't be going around will'e nil'e judging referenced
items to be not good enough - but there's a cost to fixing broken links
(including whether people are inclined in general to fix them)

Here's the example at hand:

Thr set of references that I've been considering includes 4 pictures of a
classroom working on the toothpick problem.

eg:
http://web.archive.org/web/20171110234732/http://i2.wp.com/boisemathcircles.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/IMG_0003.jpg
:

They're darling and all, but are they worth updating?  should they even
have been in there in the first place?

I don't know.

Sorry if I was too blunt.