[seqfan] Re: A139250 Question

P. Michael Hutchins pmh232 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 15:07:35 CET 2018

First, I apologize for sounding like I doubted that the pattern of the
toothpick sequence had been found.  I read the Boise Math Circles statement
as saying that the students found the pattern, and I did doubt that.  But
even given that apparent misreading, I should have researched further
before asking such a question.

I have no business doubting an assertion by a member or associate of OEIS,
unless I can give sufficient reason.

My context was that I had been looking for such a result, and hadn't been
able to find one.  I thought that if there was one, it would be mentioned
on the A139250 page, if not the Boise Math Circles page - but I hadn't
found it there.  And I hadn't found the paper in which the solution appears.

A more thoughtful and considerate way of putting it is just to ask for a
pointer to the solution.

(I was excited to find the solution, since I had worked on it quite a bit,
and come up empty - although I thought I saw some regularity at the scale
of the 2^n-length subsequences.)