[seqfan] Re: The mean and variance of a sequence (new transforms)

Chai Wah Wu cwwuieee at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 23:45:53 CET 2018

Hi Neil,
  That is quite interesting, another empirical law like Benford's law. I
computed Pearson's sample correlation coefficient r of log(var) versus
log(mu) for various b-files (with at least 1000 terms) that I have lying
around on my hard drive. If we assume the exponent B in the formula to be
positive (I think in many of the ecology examples they found B > 0), we
expect the correlation coefficient to be close to +1 if Taylor's law holds.
For many sequences I looked at, this is indeed the case, but for some
others, the correlation coefficient is relatively small in absolute value
and some of them are negative, suggesting a negative correlation (implying
that the exponent B < 0). I put a plot of r for over 1000 sequences here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1P3dUHLbPX8EJ85ndfiPgd7LTUDO9T
t9q/view?usp=sharing where you see most of the points clustered around r =
1.
Here are some examples where |r| is small or r is negative:

OEIS sequence number                    r
10060 -0.671536970646
31286 -0.689168370738
50278 0.407158565862
71989 -0.306520534891