[seqfan] Re: A Sequential Puzzle

charliemath at optonline.net charliemath at optonline.net
Mon Mar 26 23:31:22 CEST 2018

In case any SeqFan is still looking for the answer to The Missing
Element puzzle, read no further.

However, this answer just appeared (about 2PM, 3/26/18) in the Comments
Section of the Wall St. Journal's Varsity Math Column:

"Tony Murphy
Missing element:

A function interpolating all of the given points is 120*(2^M-1)/M where
M=-3, -2, -1, (0), 1, 2 ... corresponds to 35,45,60,(q),120,180... etc.

For continuity, q has to be the limit as M-->0 of this function, where
of course the formula doesn't work at M=0. This limit is easily
calculated as 120*ln(2), or approx 83.178.

I guess the surprise is that q is not an integer in this case.

The above solution can be derived by looking at M*Given numbers and
fiddling around with the resulting difference equation."

Note how close Tony's answer is to Olivier's (83 1/6) gotten by
interpolation.