[seqfan] Re: Are A304312, A304313 Same as A006691, A006692?

Max Alekseyev maxale at gmail.com
Sun May 20 17:46:39 CEST 2018

Hi Paul,

First, when you say "one would expect A(p,x) to be an e.g.f. with
fractional coefficients" - it seems that you mean o.g.f. not e.g.f. here.
One can easily show that the the e.g.f. indeed have integer coefficients
(see below), but it's quite surprising that they are divisible by the
corresponding factorials and thus form an o.g.f. with integer coefficients.

Second, one can derive an explicit recurrence for log(A(p,x)) as follows.

Let us fix a positive integer p, and denote f(x) = log(A(p,x)). Then the
defining identity for A(p,x) can be stated as
(*)    [x^n] exp( n^p * x - f(x) ) = 0 for all integers n > 0.

Let f_i/i! be the coefficient of x^i in f(x). Then (*) translates into
a recurrence formula:
f_0 = 0,
f_1 = 1,
and for n>1,
f_n = B_n(n^p-f_1,-f_2,...,-f_{n-1},0).
It further implies that all f_n are integer. And so are the e.g.f.
coefficients of A(p,x) = exp(f(x)).

E.g., for https://oeis.org/A304312 (p=2) as the derivative of log(A(2,x)),
we have A304312(n) = f_{n+1}/n! and thus the formula:

A304312(0) = 1,
and for n>=1,
A304312(n) = B_{n+1}((n+1)^2-0!*A304312(0),-1!*A304312(1),...,-(n-1)!*
A304312(n-1),0) / n!.

This still however does not explain why the resulting numbers are integer.

Regards,
Max