[seqfan] Re: Changes to b-files and the rules

jonscho at hiwaay.net jonscho at hiwaay.net
Fri Nov 16 06:48:49 CET 2018

Neil,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this.  A few comments:

<<  5) In the rules for b-file formats (see
http://oeis.org/SubmitB.html) it is recommended to use " # " as a
marker for lines with non-numerical data. This relies on the notion
that all programs/uses of the b-file have " # " as a comment marker.
This is generally not the case. This can be seen by the various ways
to comment in the program sections.  >>

I see source code files and data files as two very different things.
I might program in say, Magma, which has its own way of representing a
comment in source code, but that doesn't mean that I expect data files
to use that same way of representing comment lines.  Maybe I'm missing
or not understanding something here.

<< 6) Head information in a submitted file can be avoided if the
general policy of "If a b-file can be made then the code used can be
added". This applies to any case where a b-file of a good length is
added. >>

Perhaps my situation is unusual, but I've sometimes submitted b-files
that were not neatly generated using a single program, nor even using
multiple programs written in a single language.  E.g., for a
particular sequence, it might be that the terms a(n) where n is twice
a prime tend to be numbers that are 50 or 100 or more digits long but
are easily calculated using something like Magma to test large numbers
for primality, while some other terms might be less than 2^96 and
might be easier to compute using a program I could write in Excel/VBA
and leave running overnight (or over several nights).  There've been
b-files I've submitted whose terms I would not be able to obtain using
any single program that I'd be able to write in any one language and
run in any one environment.

<<  " Several blank lines should appear after the last term." >>

I understand that a b-file that ends without a newline character or a
carriage return / line feed pair can cause problems, but -- personally
-- I really don't like to see a b-file with too many (e.g., several
dozen) blank lines at the end.  Maybe I'm the only one who is bothered
by such heavily-padded b-files, but whenever I open one of those (e.g,
in a browser tab) and go to the end of the file (e.g., by hitting
Ctrl+PageDown) and all I then see in my browser window is an empty
page, I then sometimes briefly wonder whether something is wrong with
the file, or wrong with my browser, and I have to begin scrolling up
to find the last actual line of text in the b-file, and I find that
inconvenient.

I don't know whether my comments above are useful or not.  If not, I
apologize for the inbox clutter!

Best wishes,

-- Jon

Jon E. Schoenfield