[seqfan] Re: finite a(n) for q=0 and infinite a(n) for q>0?

Allan Wechsler acwacw at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 20:04:51 CEST 2018

It is always my habit to look to see if all the simpler concepts than a
given proposal are already in the Encyclopedia. In this case, I have just
discovered that we seem to be missing "a(n) = smallest k such that k +/- n
are both prime"!

a(1) = 2 (2,2)
a(2) = 5 (3,7)
a(3) = 8 (5,11)
a(4) = 7 (3,11)
a(5) = 8 (3,13)
a(6) = 11 (5,17)

(2,5,8,7,8,11 ...) is already not in the Encyclopedia.

I suppose it is an article of faith that for all n, there are always two
primes separated by 2n. This is a Goldbach-like conjecture -- I see nothing
forcing it to be true, but I would happily bet any amount that it is. The
related sequence, "a(n) = smallest prime p such that p+2n is also prime",
which I have written in the table above as the first of the parenthesized
prime pair, is also apparently not in OEIS.

None of this is to disparage Yuri Gerasimov's work -- it was just a simpler
idea suggested to me by his sequences.