[seqfan] Re: The most and least interesting sequences not in OEIS

Felix Fröhlich felix.froe at gmail.com
Mon Sep 17 22:16:09 CEST 2018

Keith, here are my thoughts:

Regarding the first suggestion: I thought of something similar a while ago:

Primes that were the largest known prime at some point in chronological
order.

Based on https://primes.utm.edu/notes/by_year.html, the sequence, beginning
with the year 1588, seems to start

131071, 524287, 2147483647, 3203431780337,
170141183460469231731687303715884105727

But so far, every time I thought about it I decided against submitting
this, mainly because I think it is ill defined. What exactly does it mean
for a prime to be the largest known prime? Known by whom? Etc, etc. Your
first suggestion seems to fall into the same category and, although I like
the idea, I think the sequence is not appropriate for the OEIS. (Again,
what exactly does it mean to be "known"? Known by whom?)

Regarding the second suggestion, I am a fan of sequences related to films
or television series myself. However, I think this particular sequence is
not appropriate. Again, I thought about something similar a while ago:

Number of episodes of the n-th Star Trek series. Based on
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Star_Trek_episodes, the sequence, if
all series are included, would start

79, 22, 178, 176, 172, 98

And again, I am very hesitant to submit this, because it is probably of
limited interest and not very mathematical, and I think the same applies to
your second suggestion. So, in conclusion I think your two suggestions
probably would not be accepted if submitted.

Best regards

Felix