[seqfan] Re: Is there a constant hidden in the backtrack trees of the n queens problem?

Brad Klee bradklee at gmail.com
Sat Sep 29 19:07:37 CEST 2018

Hi Peter,

Repeats occur at index a'(m)=3,8,15..., which is fit by quadratic function
a'(m)=m^2-1.

A hypothesis would be: a(1)=0, a(n) = a(n-1) + 1 unless n = a'(m) for some
m,
in these cases do not increment, a(n)=a(n-1). As increments happen with
only
quadratic frequency, asymptotically it should be that a(n)/n ~ 1.

If increments happen with a linear period, then we can force convergence to
a number
less than one. Example: a(1)=0, a(n) = a(n-1) + 1 unless 5 divides n, then
a(n)=a(n-1).
The sequence of first differences is periodic with T=5, and a(n)/n ~ 4/5.

This is naive analysis, and it would really be better to argue from the
particulars of
the problem. Nevertheless, if every first difference is drawn from {0,1} or
even from
a finite set, and if the sequence of first differences is periodic on
average, then
maybe it will be possible to prove convergence.

How do you rule out the scenario of quadratic lapses? What do your beliefs
say in
general about the first differences? Do you know of any trivial examples
where the first
differences satisfy a linear recurrence? Any answers would help your case.

Cheers,

Brad