[seqfan] A083698 offset

Hans Havermann gladhobo at bell.net
Mon Dec 23 18:07:14 CET 2019

A lot of continued fraction sequences (keyword 'cofr') are offset 0, perhaps because the initial term of a simple continued fraction sequence is different in that it can be zero. Not as obvious is why many continued-fraction 'convergent' sequences have offset zero. Perhaps it is simply to keep them aligned with their partial-quotient counterparts.

Anyways, I'm working on a b-file for A083698 which (like its duplicate A209270) has offset one, in spite of its being a simple continued fraction expansion. I need to know if it should be zero so that I can prefix my b-file appropriately. The convergents sequence (A072999), while not defined as a convergents sequence, is (ironically perhaps) already offset zero.