[seqfan] Re: Links and references in the OEIS, my policy

David Seal david.j.seal at gwynmop.com
Mon Dec 9 11:34:16 CET 2019

Something I would question is why the Links and References sections are separated at all? If there were just a single Links & References section, there would never need to be separate entries in two sections for the same document, and a broken link could be removed while leaving the descriptive text that would enable the document to be found in a suitable library. Furthermore, things like "Bloggs conjectures that..." or "... (see Bloggs) ..." in the Comments section would present the reader with just one place to look for the document being referred to, rather than two at present.

I would support marking the best references and links with asterisks, but would suggest prefixing the asterisk to make it easier to scan for the asterisked entries - the reader just has to look down the left hand side of the section rather than for appended asterisks that could appear anywhere.

There might also need to be some sort of 'quality' requirement for an entry to be asterisked, though I haven't yet managed to work out what it should say...

David