[seqfan] Re: All links to private pages will break, we should get copies before they do

Hugo Pfoertner yae9911 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 22 12:36:31 CET 2019

Neil, SeqFans,

the matter is actually delicate, especially if a broken link is not just a
single file, but a website with a possibly branched hierarchy of subpages.
The same applies if the page contains active content or input fields.
Inspired by a find from Georg Fischer, I have now discovered that the
webpages ccrwest.org no longer exist. There are numerous references to them
because the "La Jolla Covering Repository" was stored there, and also e.g.
the list of "Cyclic difference sets". In this case the pages seem to have
been taken over by Dan Gordon and the question now is whether it is better
to use a wayback link, e.g.,
http://web.archive.org/web/20180826015142/https://www.ccrwest.org/cover.html
or to switch to the Dan Gordon version
https://www.dmgordon.org/cover/

There are about 50 links in total on ccrwest.org, and the question arises
whether it makes sense to manually change them all individually.

Hugo Pfoertner