[seqfan] Re: The Savannah Math

Jan Ritsema van Eck j.ritsemavaneck at planet.nl
Mon Dec 30 20:28:04 CET 2019

Hello Ali,

You’re very welcome. I thought it was an interesting problem and I’m glad you liked the analysis.

Looking for an explicit formula: clearly the pattern is related to the triangular numbers (1, 3, 6, 10, 15 and so on): in the sequence of first differences 2, 4, 3, 5, 4, 4, 6, 5, 5, 5, 7, 6, 6, 6, 6, 8 ….  the values of a(i) make a jump wherever i-1 is a triangular number. The triangular numbers are given by t = s(s+1)/2, the inverse function is s = (sqrt(8t+1)-1)/2. A little bit of experimentation gives this formula:

a(i) = 2*F(i-1) - F(i-2) + 2
where F(i) = floor((sqrt(8*i+1)-1)/2)

for the partial sum (the number of possibilities, allowing the empty set), I get:
a(0)=1, a(1) = 3;
for i > 1: a(i) = F(i-1) + 2*i + 1 + Sum_(j=1-> i) F(j-1)

And for the number of possibilities, excluding the empty set:
a(0)=1, a(1) = 3;
for i > 1: a(i) = F(i-1) + i + 1 + Sum_(j=1-> i) F(j-1)

I would be grateful if someone would check these. And yes, IMHO these sequences would be suitable for the OEIS.

Best regards,

Jan

Op 29 dec. 2019, om 21:01 heeft Ali Sada <pemd70 at yahoo.com> het volgende geschreven: