[seqfan] Re: No loop in view?

Brad Klee bradklee at gmail.com
Sat Feb 23 18:31:31 CET 2019

Yes, A039982 follows from either substitution:

Rule: {0->11, 1->01}, Axiom: 11
Rule: {0->11, 1->10}, Axiom: 1

Then the proof of aperiodicity is easy.

The asymptotic ratio #(1):#(2)=2:1 requires a period
of the form 3*p. If 3*p is even, then deflate to an odd
period T=3*p/2^n. The inflation rules require a pattern
of the form

which can only have odd period 1, a contradiction. Thus
A039982 is aperiodic, as is the tag system sequence.

Aside from the Fibonacci word, these two systems
remind me of the paper folding sequence, because
the ratio of 1s to 0s turns out to be whole integer.

--Brad